Thursday, September 24, 2009

In Honor of Grandmothers and Fall



My husband's grandmother J was a very fine cook and baker.  I have many of her recipes, some that I can do quite well, others not so much.  I'm sharing her pumpkin bread recipe because it is Fall, ya'll (can't help it, I'm from Texas).  I have been part of the family for darn near 30 years. This recipe was everyone's favorite fall treat when we would visit her before she passed away in the 90's.  I'm guessing that this pumpkin bread recipe has been around for more than 70 years.  It is NOT diet friendly, so I will just be having a taste (got to watch my girlish figure, teehee).  My husband, on the other hand, will indulge with gusto, I'm sure!  Enjoy, cause you only live once......

Grandmother J's Pumpkin Bread

Ingredients:
3 C. Sugar
1 C. Oil
4 Beaten Eggs
1 Can (16 oz.) Pumpkin Puree
3 1/2 C. Flour
2 Tsp. Baking Soda
2 Tsp. Salt
1 Tsp. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Nutmeg
1 Tsp. Allspice
1 Tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp. Cloves
2/3 C. Water
1/2 C. Raisins
1/2 C. Pecans (chopped)


Instructions:
Cream sugar and oil together, add eggs & pumpkin puree.  Mix well.  Sift together all of the dry ingredients.  Alternately add the dry ingredients with the water to the pumpkin mixture.  Fold in the raisins and pecans.  Pour into well greased and floured 9 X 5 loaf pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until it tests done with a toothpick inserted in the middle of loaf.  Let stand for 10 minutes before removing from pan.  Makes 2 generous size loafs.


I'm participating in the Fall Favorite Foods event at Life As A Mom.  There are some amazing foods already linked, go check it out!



Always Count Your Blessings,


No comments:

Post a Comment