Monday, October 26, 2009

Old Fashioned Peach Cobbler

Today I want to share with you another recipe that has been in my family for many, many years.  I've been making this peach cobbler all of my married life.  I honestly don't know where I got the recipe all those years ago but it has always been a huge hit with my boys and husband.


So here are the ingredients:


4 cups of sliced fresh peaches (you can use canned, but fresh is better)
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of shortening
1/4 cup plus 1 tblsp. cold water





Okay, so I forgot to take pictures until after I had already put the peaches, sugar and butter in a medium saucepan.  You will bring that to a boil over low heat until the peaches are tender and the mixture thickens. This takes a little while.  Pour the peach mixture in a lightly buttered 10X6X2 inch baking pan and set aside.


Combine the flour and salt together and cut in the shortening until it resembles coarse meal.  Sprinkle the water evenly over the flour mixture and stir it with a fork until all the ingredients are moistened.  Shape pastry into a ball.  Roll out the pastry to 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface and cut into 1 inch strips.





Arrange 1/2 of the strips in a lattice design over the top of the peach mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.  Remove from the oven and gently press the baked pastry into the peach mixture.  Repeat the lattice design again over the peaches with the remaining pastry strips.  Return to the oven and bake for an additional 40 minutes. Yields 6 servings.





If you haven't already guessed, I love me some carbs!!!!  This cobbler is so yummy for your tummy!


I'm linking this post to two of my favorite blogs this week.  Check them both out for more great recipes to add to your current collection. 





Blessed with Grace




1 comment:

  1. That looks so yummy! I have some pears to use up and think I might try it with them?

    Stay Cozy, Carrie

    ReplyDelete