Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Down memory lane with my cookbooks.....


Lately it's hard not to think about cooler weather, pumpkins, holidays and family gatherings.  Fall is in the air even here in Texas.  One of the things that I really enjoyed doing years ago when I was a stay at home mom to my 3 precious little boys, was to curl up on the couch with a warm cup of coffee, cocoa, or apple cider and pour over cookbooks.  Yep, cookbooks!  Nothing made me happier.  I've always had a passion for cooking and baking, really mostly baking.  Ask any one of my boys and they will tell you that they fondly remember the evening meal together as a family.  Rarely was there a meal served that did not include homemade bread of some sort (before I owned a bread machine), and a wonderful dessert of something gooey and delicious.  


It's so easy now to jump online, type in a specific ingredient and have hundreds of different recipes at a clicks notice.  Don't get me wrong, I use the internet for recipes all the time and love that I can find a recipe for anything quickly.  I just miss the slower paced life of living in a very small town, going to the public library on a regular basis, checking out a new to me cookbook and looking for that delicious goodness that might find a permanent place as a family favorite.  


A few years ago I ran across a book that I just had to have, so I added it to my collection.  Yes, it is a cookbook.  It's called "A Return to Sunday Dinner" by Russell Cronkhite.  Oh what a lovely cookbook it is.  There are beautiful pictures and amazing recipes from around the country to remind you of the indelible memories a simple menu can bring your family.  


I think today will be a perfect day to snuggle up with a fuzzy throw, a warm cup of coffee and my precious cookbooks..... here's hoping you too will will find a simple past pleasure to revisit today.

No comments:

Post a Comment